Recently I’ve been receiving a great deal of grief from family, friends and colleagues re: my new found friend TWITTER…
RELAX people! He’s just a friend ..nothing more nothing less…maybe you need to give him a chance or at least understand where he is coming from – here is who TWITTER is…
So many ask WHY??…here is why;
* “It has helped me network with youth workers locally/nationally/ globally. I can keep in touch with what local youth workers are doing . Depending on what they are tweeting, I can find out what they are teaching, what they are struggling with, how I can pray for them, and — yes — what they are eating for lunch and other trivial things that people tweet about. But I see value in ALL of it. I like getting to know people outside of their youth-ministry-world, too.
* I can also follow leaders in the field of youth ministry. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gleaned some of my best ministry ideas in the past couple of years from my Twitter stream. In addition, I’ve even been able to send short comments to them and, in some cases, hear back! What fun!
* Lots of great student ministry sites utilize Twitter. Be the first to hear about new content, prizes, and youth ministry ideas that they have to offer.
* Keep parents/guardians informed and updated on student trips. Parents can now get updates from camp, youth convention, weekend retreats, etc. in real time and it is as easy as sending a text from your phone.
* Stay current on just about any topic. Twitter is a great way to keep up-to-date on youth culture, local news, youth training events, etc.
* Get quick answers to general questions. Sometimes if you post a question, you’ll get answers within minutes. For example:“Does anyone have a good resource for teen counseling in the event of a family loss?” “Looking for an extra pop-up tent that I can borrow for camp next month. Any ideas?” “Is there a good online resource for junior high small group curriculum?”
I hope this post has given you a clearer picture of why I use social media…like Twitter/Facebook. It’s definitely not because I want to “air out” my life for all to see. I use it primarily for the above reasons stated.