This update is long overdue…no excuses – what has been going on in the Bradford family?
- Football, football and more football
Football to some degree has been consuming our lives as of late. Practice every night…games on Saturday and Sunday. When you actually sit down and count all the hours we have put in over the past two months it’s somewhat overwhelming. Fortunately the season is coming to an end in a few weeks. Both Jayden (wide receiver) and Mitchell (running back/defensive line) have had great seasons. Jayden has incredible hands…thyrow him the ball in his direction and he will somehow come up with the catch. Mitchell no the other hand is all about sheer power…when he gets the ball lookout defenders because he will run you over on his way to the goalline!
- Vacation – what can I say? We had an awesome time in sunny/humid Florida. We spent a few days at Universal and two nights at Hollywood Studios for the Nights of Joy concerts. Another highlight was attending Cirque de Soleil’s LaNouba at downtown Disney.
- Visit from grandma & grandpa – it was great to have Keri’s mom and dad visit from Ottawa. They hung around our place for a week. They saw their grand boys play football plus grandpa fixed everything and anything that wasn’t working properly in our house. The boys and him also had the chance to build a new skateboard ramp (since their father is cluelss when it comes to building anything with his hands!!)
- Taking a break from basketball – after 20 years of coaching I’ve decided to take a break this season. With so much going on in our lives I know I need to do a much better job of re-connecting with my wife and kids. Taking a break this season will give me at least 4-6 extra hours a aweek to invest in my own family. We will likely look at spending time together doing things as a family rather than frasgmenting ourselves into a variety of other opportunities. With the boys entering adolesence Keri and I need to focus a great deal of our attention of guiding our boys through this tumultuous experience we call the “teenage years”.
- Ministry Transition – once again my role has changed within the youth ministries at Centre Street. In July my role transitioned from grade pastor to youth community pastor. I will also be championing the family ministry within the context of youth ministries. I am moving out into unchartered terrritory but I believe I am up for the challenge!
What I’ve been reading? I’ve been consuming aot of books recently…here is a list of just a few that have been helping me in my thought processes;
What I’ve been watching? Haven’t had the chance to watch much tv as of recent. As a family we still enjoy Survivor and the Amazing Race. My TIVO is filled to the brim with episodes from – CSI, Mentalist, NCIS. I have also found Flash Forward to be quite intriguing!
What I’ve been learning? Plain and simple – I’ve been learning a ton…now I need to simply process the knowledge. I have found the saying, “knowledge is power” to be the biggest lie out there. The reason why? Knowledge without action – changes nothing. I think that has been the church’s biggest problem over these years. WE have all the knowledge in the brain but we have done nothing with the great ideas of man. Why? because great ideas do not necessarily lead us to change anything about ourselves or the world in which we live. I’ll stop there before I turn this into a full blown sermon!
When I have processed and begin living out this new learning curve…I’ll let you in on what I’ve experienced through the learning process.
Well that was fairly short and sweet and to the point…blessings on you and your family!
Until next time