As I sit here in at Fairview Mall in Scarborough Ontario waiting to head to the airport(in Starbucks of course) my head and heart are saying WHATS GOING ON? The reason I ask this is because for the past week I’ve had the opportunity and privilege to listen and to speak into the lives of many of my friends and ministry partners in Toronto.
There is no doubt that God is on the move – He is doing something….something strange and mysterious that cannot be easily rationalized or explained. In the midst of what God is up to it also appears there are many within the Chrisitian community who are failing to recognize where God is engaging and therefore are continuing to do the same old thing anticipating different results.
Here is what is really going on within this so-called strategy: The end product is (in no specific order)
- churches struggling / imploding / blowing up / firing multiple staff / staff burning out…leading to relational & moral failures
- families being torn apart by a wide variety of circumstances?
- DIVORCE….DIVORCE AND MORE DIVORCE? (It honestly feels like its the trendy thing to do these days?)
- NO HOPE?
The FACT is there is hope!! But there are NO EASY STEPS to engaging it…maybe thats part of the issue. As I have been travelling around Canada and seeing and experiencing the landscape of Christian community – there are great things taking place but there is also cause for concern.
I certainly don’t have all the answers but I wonder…is it possible that we are trying so hard within the body of Christ to:
- pay the bills
- keep our people happy
- keep up with the current marketing trends / fads
- preach relevant messages
- retain the people we have sitting in our seats
What are your thoughts?
Am I being to hard and critical?
Do we focus too much on the negative? Rather than celebrating the positive?
If the church were to be wipe off the face of our country – would anybody miss us??